Wednesday, May 5, 2010

ahhhhh

I teach 6th grade and towards the end of the school year, I am amazed by the things my students do. These things usually make me want to slap myself on the forehead!

Yesterday, one of my lovelies walks over to the pencil sharpener and sticks his pencil in one of the back 3 vent holes of the sharpener. I'm guessing the holes are there to vent the little machines motor. I watched him do this and was staring with my jaw hanging down. I could come up with no words and part of me wanted to see what he would do.

He then proceeded to say, "Ms. Salas, the pencil sharpener isn't working."

I wanted to say, "Doofus, you've got it in the wrong hole! Duh!" And maybe some other words but I didn't.

I calmly walked over and showed him where the pencil should go. It may not have been so bad if he had been a brand new student and had never used the pencil sharpener before but he's been in my reading class since the beginning of the school year. I've had the same pencil sharpener since the beginning of the school year.

I honestly do not know what to make of this incident. I don't want to make the child feel bad but holy crap. hahahahaha....I laughed out loud about this later and told my friends. Just ridiculous!

Please teach your children simple problem solving skills! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment