Wednesday, May 5, 2010

How could I ever love a cat?

When I was 5, my parents thought it would be a great idea to buy me a cat. Although this cat would also be expected to earn its keep by catching and killing mice that lived in the backyard. Unfortunately for her before it got the chance to become our protector, she managed to get stuck under the house for awhile and die. We had no idea where she was and we didn't realize she was under our house. Only a small cat could get under there. It took a lot of searching to find her, poor thing.

But what did my parents do to make up for this tragedy, buy me a new cat. A cat that would come to dislike people. Yet she was a great mouse and bird hunter. She didn't like people due to the fact that she had to be an outside cat because of my mom's allergies. So we never handled her and when we had too, (trips to the vet, pulling out the burrs that got stuck in her fur,etc.) she used her claws to express her anger. Since she didn't like me, I decided I didn't like her. Therefore I didn't like any cats. Cats were dumb.

I have been dating my boyfriend for almost a year and a half and he is a cat owner. He comes up with very simple names for the cats he has owned. His current cat is named Orange Cat because.....you've guessed it! She's orange...and remarkably small for a kitty. Apparently she only weighs about 4 pounds. I didn't come to really adore this cat until she became my roommate. She is the most adorable animal I have ever met. She is also an amazing warrior. I say warrior because she will fight anything: string, beer bottle tops, bugs, wires for the video game controllers, the zipper on my jacket. Nothing gets past the Orange. She also managed to survive a 35 mile trek from home. She decided to take a walk one day and got lost. The man who found her said he would've kept her if she didn't have a tag on her collar. She is just one of the most delightful creatures I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. When she sleeps, its almost as precious as watching a newborn baby sleep. Its absolutely heart wrenching. If you meet the Orange and you dislike her, that is a sign of your character. Nobody dislikes the Orange!

Hahaha....I cannot believe I just blogged about my boyfriend's cat. She really is the most amazing, cuddly, adorable thing ever. We have dubbed her 'our smallest friend'.
Give your animal a hug...all they know is love! hehe

No comments:

Post a Comment